Having a good service or product these days doesn’t mean much unless you don’t have a marketing strategy that will make people pay attention to your offer. This is exactly why making a quality portfolio is essential. Creating a platform where the business is made as visible and as accessible as possible is where the social bookmarking tool comes in.
The term social bookmarking refers to a method that Internet users tend to choose for organizing, storing, managing and searching for bookmarks of resources online. The search can be done by keyword, person or popularity and see the public bookmarks, tags and classification schemes that registered users created. Since there are over 15 billion web pages, there is the obvious need to save the best pages for later.
It is a great opportunity for organizing information and categorizing resources. Social bookmarking services indicate who created each bookmark and provide access to that person’s other bookmark recourses thus users can easily make social connections with other fellows interested in just about the same topic. This process allows people of the similar interests to gather into one community. Tagging information resources with keyword has the potential to change the way how we store and find information. This way, you don’t have to remember all these information, since it’s all there on your computer. Social bookmarking makes the distribution of reference lists, bibliographies, papers and other resources a lot easier.
Some of the more current and highly ranked social bookmarking sites are:
- Buzz feed combines a technological platform with the specific intention of detecting viral content. It is followed by an editorial selection process to provide the snapshot of the viral web in real time.
- Twitter facilitates sending and reading of online text based information. You can only write up to 140 characters and as such the material posted is done is a concise manner.
- Stumble upon is a form of web search engine known as the discovery engine and it finds and recommends web content to interested parties. The principles adopted for the rating process is done on a peer sourcing base.
- Reddit is site where social news is submitted by registered users. The contents are submitted in the form of wither links or text self-posts. The other users then start the voting process to create the appropriate positioning the voting exercise establishes. This in turn determines the positioning of the site’s pages and front page.
- Digg is a social news website that has its own loyal following. It is considered to be the cornerstone element of letting people become part of the endorsements. The voting done on either the upward or downward trend called digging and burying respectively is what contributes to its popularity.
Spammers have started bookmarking the same web page multiple times and/or tagging each page of their web site using a lot of popular tags, obliging developers to constantly adjust their security system to overcome abuses.